Triodos Bank’s Executive Board provides a perspective on the wider world it operates in, its impact and activity in 2017 and its prospects for the future.
What is the Global Alliance for Banking on Values (GABV)?
The GABV is a growing network of independent sustainable banks using finance to deliver sustainable development for unserved people, communities and the environment.
At the year end it was made up of over 40 sustainable banks from six continents, with combined assets of approximately US $100 billion. Collectively, the members of the GABV aim to grow the impact of sustainable banking globally.
GABV member banks all meet six principles of sustainable banking. These principles show how values-based banks differ from other kinds of banks, particularly banks that are primarily driven by financial profit.
- Triple bottom line approach at the heart of the business model
- Grounded in communities, serving the real economy and enabling new business models to meet the needs of both
- Long-term relationships with clients and a direct understanding of their economic activities and the risks involved
- Long-term, self-sustaining, and resilient to outside disruptions
- Transparent and inclusive governance
- All of these principles embedded in the culture of the bank